If you have recently been arrested for a DUI, you are likely searching for the best DUI attorney to fit your needs. There are many DUI defense lawyers practicing in the Atlanta area, but not all of them are equally qualified to handle your case. Listed below are some things you should consider looking for during your search for the best Atlanta DUI attorney.
- Years in practice- If you've been arrested for drunk driving and are now facing license suspension and DUI conviction, you need an attorney with experience. Attorneys recently out of law school will not have the depth and breadth of experience that a seasoned DUI lawyer has. Attorney Richard Lawson has nearly two decades of legal experience.
- Past case results- Experience is just one piece of the puzzle. An attorney can have decades of experience under his or her belt yet have a track record of unsuccessful cases. Attorney Richard Lawson has successfully resolved more than 4,600 cases during his career.
- Professional experience- One testament to the quality of an attorney is what they have done throughout their career. If the most recent significant milestone in an attorney's career is passing the bar examination then you may want to keep looking. Richard Lawson is not only a skilled defense attorney, but he was formerly employed as a DUI prosecutor. This gives him a comprehensive understanding of DUI law and how these cases are handled in Atlanta courts.
- Special certifications- In order to practice in the state of Georgia, an attorney must be certified and currently in good standing with the Georgia Bar. In addition to this, many attorneys further their education and knowledge of their practice area by obtaining special certifications. Attorney Richard Lawson is certified in standardized field sobriety testing as an instructor with the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration (NHTSA). He is also certified to teach courses on DUI defense and investigations.
- Honors and recognitions- Another indicator of a lawyer's quality is how peers and past clients have rated and reviewed them. If you are searching for an attorney and you cannot find any positive reviews and ratings, then this could be a sign of low-quality. Attorney Richard Lawson is rated 10 out of 10 "Superb" on Avvo and also received the Client's Choice award in 2012 for DUI.
- Percentage of practice devoted to DUI- Some attorneys who practice DUI defense also handle a wide range of other criminal cases such as drug crimes, fraud, etc. Some even practice in completely different areas of the law such as personal injury or family law. At The Law Offices of Richard S. Lawson, the attorneys have dedicated 100 percent of their practice to DUI defense. A honed-in experience allows for a greater depth of knowledge and skill in this area.
After reading the awards, experience and skill that characterizes our law firm, we sincerely hope that you choose to contact an Atlanta DUI defense lawyer from The Law Offices of Richard S. Lawson. We understand the anxiety and burden that people often face after a DUI arrest. Our firm exists to help guide you through this process so that you can arrive at the most favorable results. To learn more, call today and we'll provide you with a free evaluation of your case.