Muscogee County DUI Lawyer
If you or a loved one has been charged with DUI in Muscogee County, you need to act fast. A DUI conviction can have serious ramifications for your future. You are facing jail time, fines, community service, a suspended license, and damage to your reputation. At The Law Offices of Richard S. Lawson, our Muscogee County DUI Lawyers are extremely qualified to provide you with skilled legal representation to defend your right to drive and your freedom. Call now for a free case evaluation!
What To Do If You Have Been Charged with DUI in Muscogee County
If you have been charged with DUI in Muscogee County, our Muscogee County DUI Lawyers recommend the following steps.
- Hire an Experienced DUI Attorney in Muscogee County. It is critical that you find out how much experience the attorney has with DUI law. Someone who is a general practitioner who occasionally practices DUI law will not be able to represent you as well as someone who only practices DUI law. Ask questions and read client reviews to make sure you are hiring the right person to protect you!
- Do not take the charges lightly. Even though DUI is generally charged as a misdemeanor, the penalties are harsh. Losing your driver's license is a major inconvenience for most people. Additionally, many employers do not look fondly on a DUI charge.
- Write down exactly what happened. As time goes on, memories can fade, and you may forget about the details. However, sometimes the small details can make a big difference in your case. As soon as possible, we recommend you write down exactly what happened. Write down the questions law enforcement officers asked you as well as your responses. Write down the last thing you ate, what time you were drinking, and even what the weather was like.
- Avoid any other interactions with the law. While waiting for your DUI to be resolved, it is very important that you avoid any other tickets, DUI's, or other charges.
- Show up for required court appearances. As our Muscogee County DUI Lawyers will tell you, it is vital that you show up and are dressed appropriately for all court appearances. It is in your best interest to make a good impression on the judge and court staff. Missing court does not leave a good impression and can cause you to be charged guilty as a default.
These are just some of the steps we recommend you start with if you have been charged with DUI. Our Muscogee County DUI Lawyers are here 24 hours a day, 7 days a week to answer your call. Call now for a free case evaluation and find out how we will protect your rights, freedom, and future.
Penalties for a First DUI Conviction in Muscogee County
The penalties of a DUI conviction can be life-altering. You are facing the possibility of losing your license and your freedom. Some of the penalties for DUI convictions are provided below. However, we want you to understand that you do not have to just accept these consequences! There are also defenses we can use to argue your case. A charge is not the same as a conviction.
A person charged with their first DUI in Muscogee County will face the following potential penalties if convicted:
- 12 months probation
- Minimum fine of $300 plus court costs and surcharges
- Between 1-10 days in jail
- At least 40 hours of community service
- Drug and alcohol abuse counseling
- Completion of a DUI Risk Reduction School
- Driver's license suspension
A suspended license can significantly impact your life- from getting to school, to getting to a job, to picking up your kids. With a skilled DUI attorney in Muscogee County on your side, however, you can fight to have your driving privileges reinstated. You have 30 days after being arrested for DUI to set up an ALS hearing and convince the DMV that your suspended license should be overturned.
Muscogee County DUI Defense
Navigating the DUI process on your own can be stressful and overwhelming! Whether you want someone on your side to help you fight to overturn your suspended license in an ALS hearing or are unsure of what will happen if you refused to take a breathalyzer test, we have the answers you are looking for.
Many law firms offer DUI defense to potential clients. However, most of these firms are not exclusively focused on DUI defense, and may just advise you to plead guilty. Our DUI Attorneys in Muscogee County are solely focused on DUI defense and have more than 25 years of dedication to fighting for the rights of clients charged with all types of offenses!
If you received a DUI as an out of state driver, this can especially be a headache. The Law Offices of Richard S. Lawson will do everything within its power to represent you, so that you do not have to make any unnecessary trips to Georgia.
Our Muscogee County DUI Lawyers will review and evaluate your situation and all the factors that may affect the case such as prior DUI convictions, evidence, and the circumstances surrounding the incident and the laws related to how the arrest procedure was done. After this review, we can start building your defense. Who you choose to defend you can make a vast difference in how the case is handled. Our DUI Lawyers in Muscogee County have handled countless DUI trials and have amassed powerful resources to draw on when necessary ,such as expert witnesses, former law enforcement officers, and scientific experts to assist with the case.
Muscogee County Court Process
In Muscogee County, the county and the largest city, Columbus GA, have combined into one single government entity. Because this court system differs from most of the other counties in Georgia, it is vital for you to hire an experienced DUI Lawyer in Muscogee County.
Muscogee County Superior Court
Muscogee County Superior Court has exclusive jurisdiction over all felony DUI cases. Superior Court is presided over by six judges that make up the Chattahoochee Judicial Circuit. The other counties in the circuit are Chattahoochee, Harris, Marion, Talbot, and Taylor. Muscogee County Superior Court is held in the Tower of the Consolidated Government Center located at 100 10th Street, Columbus, GA 31901. Call 706-653-4353 for more information.
Muscogee County State Court
Muscogee County State Court handles the majority of all DUI cases that arise out of Muscogee County. There are two State Court judges: Judge Ben Richardson and Judge Andy Prather. Muscogee County State Court is located at 100 10th Street, Columbus, GA 31901. For more information, call 706-653-4370.
Muscogee County Recorders Court
Muscogee County Recorders is a court of limited jurisdiction that handles traffic cases and county ordinance violations. If you were arrested within Columbus city limits, your case will begin in Muscogee County Recorder's Court. However, your case will be bound over to the Muscogee County State Court. Muscogee County Recorders Court is located at 702 10th Street, Columbus, GA 31901. For more information, call 706-653-4256.
Contact Us Today
It is crucial that you act quickly if you are facing a DUI offense. The first call you make after the arrest should be to our DUI Attorneys in Muscogee County. Our lawyers will take immediate action and will advise you as to what can be expected. You will be professionally guided through the system and your rights to your freedom and your driver's license will be protected. Call now for a free case evaluation.