Clarkston DUI Attorney
Georgia has strict laws for driving under the influence (DUI) of alcohol or drugs, and when you drink and drive in Clarkston, you risk your freedom, finances, and future. The penalties are severe, and even a first DUI can result in jail time, fines, license suspension, and community service. For subsequent DUI's, the penalties are enhanced.
If you or a loved one has been charged with a DUI, you need legal representation. The penalties are too high for you to handle the case on your own or hire an attorney who does not exclusively practice DUI law. DUI laws are constantly changing, and it is in your best interest to hire a Clarkston DUI Lawyer who practices DUI law every day. At The Law Offices of Richard S. Lawson, our firm has exclusively practice DUI defense for over 25 years. We have dedicated ourselves to knowing the ins and outs of DUI law and the intricacies that coincide with the different Georgia courts. Call now and see how we will protect your rights, your future, and your freedom!
Penalties for a First DUI Conviction in Clarkston, GA
- 1-10 days in jail
- Fine of $300 minimum, up to $1,000
- License suspension of up to one year
- 40 hours of community service
- 12 months probation
- DUI school
Penalties for a Second Offense within Five Years of First Offense
- Minimum mandatory 48 hours in jail, possible 90 days to one year
- Fine of $600 minimum, up to $1,000
- License suspension for at least 1 year
- A minimum of 30 days of community service
- Surrender of license plate
- A mandatory clinical evaluation and, if indicated, completion of a substance abuse
- Red stripe on license
Penalties for a Third Offense within Five Years of Second Offense
- Minimum mandatory 15 days in jail
- Fine of $1,000 minimum, up to $5,000
- License revocation for five years
- Minimum mandatory 30 days community service
- Violator's name, photo, and address published in the local newspaper at violator's expense
- Declared a habitual violator, the license plate for his/her vehicle will be seized by the sent to the court and forwarded to the Department of Motor Vehicle Safety
- Face a mandatory clinical evaluation and, if indicated, completion of substance abuse treatment program at the offender's expense
Clarkston Municipal Court
Clarkston Municipal Court handles city ordinance violations, traffic violations, and other misdemeanor charges. The Court is located at 3921 Church Street, Clarkston, GA 30021. The Honorable Steve W. Nicholas is the Municipal Court Judge, and Shirley A. Green is the Chief Clerk.
Court is in session approximately five times per month, except for major holidays. Trials are held on the first Tuesday of each month only, with a starting time of 8:00 AM. Office hours are Monday – Friday, 8:30 AM – 4:30 PM. For more information, please call (404) 292-9465 or contact Shirley Green, Court Clerk by email at [email protected].
Contact Us Today
At The Law Offices of Richard S. Lawson, our DUI Attorneys in Clarkston handle all types of DUI charges. For over 25 years, we have obtained successful results for our clients and developed a strong reputation in the community. No matter if this was your first, second, or third DUI arrest, we can help. Call us today for a free case evaluation and see why we are Georgia's premier DUI defense firm.